While I enjoyed the projects we were to investigate for this previous Wednesday's class, I found "Public Secrets" less moving, not in content, but because it was difficult to navigate. This is probably due to its non-linearity and its jumbled layout. It was hard to remember which quotation you already listened to and determine where to go next. At times, I thought it was dysfunctional.
Despite the difficulty in navigation, the presentation of content was much appreciated by an "untraditional" audience. The voices were not left to interpretation by the author and nothing was off limits. The raw emotion and honesty, for the most part, was more engaging rather than just reading a "traditional" academic essay. "Public Secrets" was extremely interesting because we got to see the "truth" of the inmates, rather than what we are led to believe by the prison system of the state. Thus, the project was moving as it was eye-opening to how terrible things really are in a place such as prison.
It is always more interesting to me to hear people's personal accounts and the "truths" rather than reading a traditional academic essay. I feel like you could say the project was so hard to navigate because the prison's way of doing things is the same way.
ReplyDeleteI agree, it was a little complicated to navigate. I liked how it was set up because it was different, but like you said, it's jumbled out.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Danielle it is more interesting to hear personal takes on a event then just reading one person point of view and have to assume how other people felt.
ReplyDelete