I do believe that we as a society value "proper" English over informal English, but I also believe that the use of various forms of English is dependent on a particular situation. Indeed there are cases where "proper" English is valued, such as a job interview, but other situations do not require or value such speech. For example, many of us use a very imformal form of language in our homes or speaking to friends. In these groups of people formal language is not necessary. Speaking with run-on sentences and slang words only gets a point across more effectively. Therefore to say that "proper" English is always valued more than "improper" English is not true.
We must not value "proper" English over other forms of English as doing so silences these forms. People forget the good that can be found in using informal language and these values are lost.
You have a good point about the value of slang. Sometimes, it is the best way to get the point across. I think it also helps to connect groups of people in an intimate way when they use the same slang.
ReplyDelete