I
actually went to New Orleans in 2010 with my church youth group. Every morning
some of us would sneak away to sit on a dock overlooking the Mississippi River
right off Bourbon Street. It is interesting the sound in the video Blue Velvet
while above the water because it sounds exactly like New Orleans in the
morning. When the street cleaners are done with their daily rounds and before
anyone is normally awake, everything is peaceful and quiet, all you can hear is
the breeze. Everyone I met in New Orleans was kind and so happy to tell their stories.
I actually met a black man on the dock one of the mornings. He told me a very
sad story. He was staying with a friend when Katrina took place and he clearly
remembered people were hanging onto telephone wires and tons of people were up
on their roofs. He remembered trying to help his friend’s mother, but they couldn’t
hold on to her because she was kind of a big woman. He said they never saw her
again. He also had no place to live and no books to read. I gave him the bible
that everyone in my youth received and he was very grateful and wanted to pray
with me.
I am
not sure why this really had an impact on my life, but it is difficult to
picture all the suffering when sitting on that dock, all you hear is the
peaceful breezes and see the beautiful river. I understand the importance of
knowing who was left behind instead of being evacuated. This is why the music
became so intense under the water in the video. When things get bad, that is
when we see oppression of races or classes in motion. This man that I met may
have been black and lower class, but he was kind and courteous. He had me in
tears with his story, but he just kept saying how he still loved New Orleans
and that there are good people there. That is why it is important to come back
above the water to pick a new topic. While there is hidden racism or silencing
of certain classes, there is always the peacefulness and the kindness of people
above the water.
That's a beautiful story. It was really nice of you to give him your bible. We had two girls from a high school in New Orleans take classes at my high school for a couple of months because there homes were gone, and everyone did everything they could to support them.
ReplyDelete