Saturday, April 14, 2012

Iranian woman


This article is about Shirin Ebadi who revolts against Islamic government. She was separated from her family members who were jailed and beaten. She became the first Iranian Muslim woman who received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003, for her work in fighting for the rights of abused women and children in Iran. She later founded the Human Rights Defenders Center in Iran. But then the government confiscated her medal, seized her bank accounts, and forced her into exile. She continued to travel, spread the news, and hope to restore equality in her homeland. She had often received threats from Iranian government.
            Her revolution was similar to the problem in Persepolis. Just like Marjane, she was also against Islamic regime and revolted to fight for women’s rights. She was forced to leave her family to find a place for her independence, and remained hopeful to find a change for her homeland. Ebadi would become Marjane’s hero since Ebadi was one of the victims of unfairness under Islamic regime.

6 comments:

  1. I really love Shirin Ebadi, she's a powerful woman whose actions brought greater attention and awareness to Iran. I think Marjane would definitely like her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting. I can't believe they confiscated her medal, that's absolutely ridiculous. Is the Human Rights Defenders Center still in existence? I think Marjane would have found Ebadi to be a great role model, and knowing Marjane's character, would probably have wanted to join her and help her somehow. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mary Lee about the confiscation of her medal. However, by just receiving it and bringing the attention she did to Iran is a step in the right direction. Marjane would be proud of the independent,true woman Ebadi is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Priya and Mary Lee. This sounds like the exact type of role model a young Marjane would love to have. It reminds me of early Marjane, when she was so focused on becoming a prophet to make things right. Shirin would have been a great person for Marjane to look up to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article! it fits right in with the rebellious nature of Marjane and her need to find a role model. I found it interesting how the actions on one brave woman brought so much attention to the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Supriya but I think Marjane has role models in her parents, her uncle, and other poltical prisoners that were either in jail and released or killed. I think that she looks up to these people because they have not conformed and still stand up for what they believe in even if the price is death.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.