I read a BBC article titled, “An Iranian mystery: Just who are the MEK?” which, although not exactly a current events story, was very informative. The article describes the mission, policies, and stories of the People’s Muhajideen of Iran, known as the MEK. According to the author, the MEK has changed its tune many times since its inception in the 1970s: from Islamist to secular, socialist to capitalist, pro-Saddam to pro-America. He describes how some have called the MEK a terrorist cult while others believe it is a legitimate progressive organization. The people who denounce the MEK, mostly its former members, tell horror stories of not being allowed to leave and being forced to do bizarre things like publicly confess their sexual fantasies. Those who are in favor of the MEK are mostly big name politicians, who could receive about $20,000 for one ten minute speech promoting the MEK.
I think all the characters in Persepolis would be shocked and disgusted by the MEK. And since it began in the 1970s, they probably actually were. One of the policies the MEK forces upon its members is that they must divorce and they must send their children away to foster homes in Europe, because love “distracts” from the cause. I can see Marji’s father in particular being upset about this, since it seems like he had such great hopes for secularism after the revolution, and this powerful organization is acting more to damage any hope than fulfill it. I am sure that Marji, too would be disgusted by policies such as those that the MEK promotes. And lastly, I think that all the characters would be disappointed by the U.S. politicians who support the organization, and the E.U. which has had the MEK removed from its list of terrorist organizations.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.