Monday, April 23, 2012

Show and Tell

When thinking of what to present for show and tell, my mind went through many different topics. I thought about the 'typical' people who are silenced, the types who our class usually spends time discussing. But I had to think outside the box to think of someone who was silenced not directly by social means, but by his own mind. Clive Wearing was more silenced than a mute.
When I was watching the video describing his condition, I thought about what it might be like to be Clive.  And it was a scary thing to think about. His wife said, "He has nothing but void behind him..." It is an interesting concept to consider. His void is constantly silencing him, and he never gets to tell what it is like to have his condition because he does not know he is in it. I think that of all the different types of silencing we have talked about this semester, his is the most severe, and yet he is the least aware of it. Its something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.