Monday, April 30, 2012

Speaking and Silence in Relationships

My fiance and I have founded our relationship together on speaking, just like most of the relationships I engage in with family and friends. With him and my family, there is not much room for silence as we are all opinionated and bull-headed. Therefore, in order to make a name for yourself, it is necessary to speak up and not just sit back in silence. This allows for open and honest relationships that leaves nothing unsaid and gets everything out on the table.
In fact, especially in the relationship with my fiance, he gets extremely aggravated at me when I just sit back and listen, instead of engage in the conversation we are having. He, along with my family, require feedback and find it disrespectful when none is given. Thus, it can be seen that in this society, silence is not really respected in informal relationships, but is highly valued in a formal setting or in power positions, namely between men and women. I think it is safe to say that most relationships are founded on speaking because without such, no connections are able to be made.

2 comments:

  1. I like your last sentence. Relationship is built up based on communication and interaction. Silence does not show any of your thoughts or feelings for each other, and it is hard to interpret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of being completely open to others. I believe this allows someone to see if the person they are in a relationship truly cares for them and all of their opinions. They do not have to agree with them, but simply respect them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.