Monday, April 30, 2012

Silence in Relationships

I interpret the connection between speaking and silence in relationships as a way of ensuring the benefit of another. By this I mean to say that we do not usually intend to harm those we are in close relationships with. In some situations it may be necessary to keep silent on a certain issue in order to promote happiness for another. In other situations it may be necessary to speak out to have the same effect.

The fact that each person in the relationship knows their friend or partner is willing to do almost anything to benefit them allows for their relationship to become open. The ability to have an open relationship then allows the two persons to exchange moments of speaking and silence. Their feelings for each other, whether as friends or as more than friends, can be expressed both in silence and in speech.

1 comment:

  1. Sean, I definitely agree. In my post I talked about religion and how I never discuss my beliefs with my mother. I only do this because of the reason you said, to promote her happiness. Agreed!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.