Hey class
As you all saw in class on Wed. I brought in my old ear gauges as a symbol of rebellion and related it to Marjanes rebellion in Persepolis. I know it was kind of a random item to bring into class. To be honest, I was just looking for some sort of object to relate to anything in class, because I did not want to bring in another you tube video for show and tell. Although, as the week has gone on I have put more thought into rebellion and the rebellious stages that most people go through while growing up. For me, It was loud music and a few piercings, but for others I have seen much more extreme acts of rebellion.
I was curious if anyone else in the class went through any drastic acts of rebellion? and if so what?
Rebellious acts can take on many different modes. For me it was mostly through my appearance and not so much through my actions. Marjane in Persepolis rebelled with her clothing as well as her speech, by going to a rally and speaking out in school. The more I ponder the acts of rebellion in the book and my own actions, I see a larger significance in having a stage of rebellion in your life. For me, rebelling against something helped me better find out who I was and what I wanted to do in my life. It is a time in a young persons life where they can take a small or large stand against something to get a better grip on their personal purpose.
That's an interesting point that you brought up, about rebellion helping someone find out who they really are. You've got to disbelieve everything you know sometimes in order to find out what you really believe in.
ReplyDeleteI myself have not gone through any acts of rebellion that I could think of during the time I was writing this blog post. Maybe the next few years will lead me into making a few rebellious choices to find out my purpose.
Rebellion for me allowed me to step back from those around me and really think if I agree with what they are doing (good and bad). This allowed me to refuse doing things I thought were wrong and become an individual rather than a follower. My rebellious phase was more about thought and choice rather than appearance. In a way we all must be rebellious as a way of avoiding conformity.
ReplyDeleteIt's kind of funny, I was trying to picture you wearing your gauges and I just couldn't. I felt like you were rebelling by dressing in a way that would make your parents or some authority shake their heads no in disapproval. The only thing I can think of was that I use to dye a red streak in my hair when I was in middle school. I am not sure if I did this for rebellious reasons, or if I just liked it. I guess sometimes being experimental can look like rebellion.
ReplyDelete