The sounds of myself piece was different than anything I'd ever created. The act of composing the text portion of it was very difficult. For starters, I had to write as if the reader (or listener in this case) were hearing my voice out loud, instead of their own in their head. This assignment turned out to be more of a speech than a written essay, and it is hard to plan a speech to sound exactly the way you want. Because of this, I was forced to write words that would sound good together out loud out of my mouth. There are limitations this places on your writing. Breaks must be taken or written at the proper time to simulate spoken word. I tried to write some words with more emphasis than others to give the feel that I wanted, and I did this by bolding some of them so I would remember to say them with the proper emphasis. The most difficult part of it was recording my own voice. I hope that none of my roommates heard me as I am sure I sounded like a fool talking into his computer with so much unnecessary emphasis.
However, as uncomfortable and difficult as the creation and composition process was, it was nothing compared to hearing my own voice through the speaker in class. There's something about hearing my voice played back that embarrasses me to no end. One thing that helped with this was that I was sure my classmates were going through the same embarrassment and that helped me get through mine. Listening to the projects of others was pretty fun. No two people had the same project, they all were very different and I liked that.
I thought it was interesting and a good idea that you took this project as a speech more than a reflection. I really liked the crescendos and different sounds you used to convey your perception of stress. Good job!
ReplyDeleteYour project was extremely interesting from the very beginning because all the sounds focused on one emotion or feeling. Although you connected well with the audience from my perspective, I hated it because you placed me directly in that situation of the time running out when taking a test, and I was stressing out in English class as if I was in one of my science courses! Please don't take that offensively at all! It was just so creative and it put me in that moment and lets face it, no one ever wants to feel the emotion of stress! GREAT project!
ReplyDelete