Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sounds of Myself

Hi Class,

The sounds of myself project proved to be much more difficult than I had originally thought. I felt as if I had great ideas, but it was challenging to get them out in words the way I had wanted to. After completing this project, I came to the conclusion that writing down thoughts on paper comes with much more ease to me than does speaking what I am trying to say. This may have to do with the fact that when writing an essay, you can sit and ponder about your thoughts. When speaking, there is no time for pauses and you must say what you are thinking at that exact time.

I faced many technical difficulties as I was preparing this project. I had never composed a sound essay and after doing so, I found I possess little to no editing skills. In addition, I found it more difficult to be open in a sound essay for two reasons. The first is I knew that it was going to be shared with all members of the class and not just the professor. Thus, I had the feeling I was being graded and/or judged by all. The second is I found some of my sounds to be embarrassing and unrelatable. Therefore, I was wondering what opinions would be formed about me. Despite the difficulties, I feel as if I overcame them because it was necessary to include the sounds I did for all to get to know me on a personal level and connect with who I am by the sounds that shape me. Now that I am more comfortable with producing sound essays, I am hopeful the next one will turn out better with higher sound quality.

3 comments:

  1. Nicole, I thought what you said about some of the sounds being embarrassing and unrelatable was interesting. I felt that way about some of my sounds too, but I ultimately decided to include them. Did you include yours? By the way, I really learned a lot about you through your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nature of this project itself was embarrassing and even more so when talking about things that are important to you or even do subconsciously. I really enjoyed your sound essay in that it gave more insight into your life and who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was difficult to decide what to share with the whole class. If we were to write an essay, then the only person that would read it would be the professor. Being judged by a professor is easier than being judged by a whole class. Especially since it seems like everyone was listening to your personal thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.