Monday, February 6, 2012

Speaking and Silence at home

This past weekend, I took the four hour drive back to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to play in an alumni basketball tournament. We got second place. It was fun to see how my old high school has changed and some of my old classmates. When all of the games were over and my family and I retired back to our home. When home, I was able to notice how different life at home was from school.

The first thing that struck me was how quiet my house is. It wasn't that it just wasn't as loud as SLU, it was also so much more calm. There wasn't the constant chatter of roommates. Nobody was playing music or trying to learn guitar next door. No cars drove down the alley and nobody held a door slam competition. It was peaceful. Life at home is so much more slow paced, so much more calm. There aren't deadlines for classes to meet.

While at home, I had planned to do so much homework. I had a lot to do for a few different classes, and at school I would have been on it right away. But the slow pace of home made me work so much slower and I didn't get nearly enough done. It made me think that the while the slow pace and silence of home, while a nice break, was not the right environment for doing homework. There is a needed level of noise, a constant prodding, for me to get my homework done. So when I got back to SLU and the noise returned, I was back to working at full speed. Once again, speaking and silence showed that they both play roles in many different facets of life and both are necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I found myself in a very similar situation just last week when I went out of state to visit family. I had a lot of time to work on my assignments but had trouble focusing. When I work on homework I usually have the television on in the background, but I did not have this option. Although it was a nice break it was not a productive situation. Maybe I am someone that needs white noise in order to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.