Friday, February 10, 2012

Sounds of Myself


Hello class,
What was the act of composition like? Was it different than writing a text piece?
                Composing the Sounds of Myself project was difficult. I scrutinized quite a few aspects of my life to see whether I could incorporate sound and whether I even wanted to share those parts of my life. I realized that I had to share intimate moments of my life, like my boyfriend and my family. I never thought I would share the sounds of my brother talking about Star Wars with a college English class, but I think it truly showed the type of interactions I share with my brother.  It was difficult to make fluid transitions from the topics of my job, my brother, and music. I wanted them to connect in some way, but each sound is a different topic. I actually enjoyed composing it because each topic is actually important to me and I knew exactly which sounds I wanted to use.
                It was very different than writing a text piece. I knew as I was composing it that everyone, not just the professor, was going to be able to hear me talk about these parts of my life. I do not have very good writing skills, but even if I did I felt like the Sounds of Myself project was better than if the assignment had been to write a paper about the sounds we hear in our lives. I feel like our voices being heard in the classroom were much more personal than reading a paper. It was also easier than writing a paper because instead of describing the intensity of the sounds, you could just play them.

2 comments:

  1. I debated on whether or not I wanted to share certain sounds of my life too as some are extremely personal and embarrassing also. However, I then found it necessary to include them because they are what made me who I am today and will continue to shape me.

    Thanks for sharing the sounds of your life to help us better understand who you are as a person and how your outlook is shaped by sounds of other people. Your project was very insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I like how you point out that instead of describing the sounds, you can just play them. It makes me think that the project was half presented by you, and half presented by the sounds you played. I also liked your point about the project played aloud being much more personal than words on a page. I can agree with that 100 percent.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.