Monday, February 27, 2012

Silence as Protest


The picture that I chose shows silence as a form of protest and a way of getting a message across.  It shows how active silence can be.  In this picture, attention is drawn to their lack of speech with the bright blue tape over their mouth.  I would agree that silence is extremely powerful, because it does not have to be peaceful and demure but can make a statement. 

In this particular instance, the students are using silence as a way to acknowledge the bullying of people who do no fit a specific gender category. The students are hoping their silence will represent and show others the lack of action or silence of administration in the issue of harassment of gays and lesbians.  This was not an issue I was familiar with, but do believe that people should be treated equally no matter their sexual preference. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting picture Supriya! I found the part where you said the bright blue tape brings attention to their lack of speech. I also agree with you when you said that silence is extremely powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this photo! I think the physical representation of silence is powerful. It really shows the strength that a lack of words can have. I really agree with your blog post as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.