Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Blog Assignment 1: Introductions and Silence

Hello Class,
                My name is Danielle Nicole Hosie and I am a sophomore here at SLU. I have a double major of Psychology and Early Childhood Education. Honestly, I am not quite sure what my future holds, but I am truly optimistic. I have been in a relationship for 5 years now with my best friend, Brandon, who I have known since second grade. Brandon will definitely continue to be a part of my life, like he always has been. I work as a waitress at the Lemp Mansion Restaurant by Cherokee Street. Besides work, school, friends, family, and Brandon, I dance ballet. The dancers of SLU are actually working on making dance a minor. Anything else I would say about myself would just be very random and unimportant, like how I am more of a cat person than dog and that I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers. So I will digress.
                To be honest, I have to take English classes to satisfy major requirements and not because I want to, but I always end up taking something away from the class. Usually I take something that is small advice or a quote from a book. Normally, I find it difficult to enjoy English classes because they involve dull readings and long reaction papers. My professors were very boring, not excited to teach, and graded extremely harsh. Last semester, I took a poetry class that I actually kind of liked. My professor was open to everyone’s different and creative responses even if they were bizarre. Usually we would stray off topic, which I find every interesting class usually does stray away from the main topic.
                My goals for this class are quite simple. Obviously, I want to receive a good grade, but I want to find something to take away from this class. Since most of my English classes have been writing papers, this class will be interesting to have interaction and speaking. I get nervous speaking in front of people, with the shaking hands and forgetting what to say. Hopefully this class will help get me more comfortable speaking in front of a class. On the contrary, I am a great listener. I enjoy hearing people’s thoughts and I like giving feedback. Maybe this class will improve my speaking and I can relax when it comes time for silence. 

Danielle Hosie

3 comments:

  1. After reading your blog, it seems our feelings about English classes are quite similar. I wasn't extremely excited to take one either, but I must to fulfill major requirements. In addition, it seems we also chose this class because we were both tired of long, boring essays that I believed were only graded fairly if it fit with what the teacher was accustomed to. This class will provide us with numerous ways of expressing ourselves outside of just writing. Therefore, maybe after this course, our feelings about English may change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that English classes can be dull and boring, but they can also be a good change of pace for a student (such as myself) majoring in a completely fact based subject like Biology or even worse Chemistry. The ability to share emotions and express inner thoughts is what I enjoy most about English classes in general. That being said, I also feel very nervous sometimes when speaking in front of groups. All we can hope for is a class open to all ideas much like your previous poetry course. As a side note I also love the Red Hot Chili Peppers and hope to see them when they come to St. Louis May 25.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beginning English class I had last semester was extremely boring and seemed quite pointless, but hopefully this class will better with the fact that we can formulate our own opinions on the readings. I also get nervous when I talk, but it is nice that we have a fairly small class and the environment seems to be quite relaxed. Also most of the comments seem to be opinion based, so there is not a way that anyone can be incorrect, which is nice. I think it is really cool that you do ballet, and I think that you said in class that SLU may make dance an official major soon?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.