Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hello class, my name is Sean Hazlett. I am in my second year at SLU and majoring in Biology. At this point in my academic career I am attempting to finish up my prerequisites for my B.S. degree. One of these prerequisites happens to be an English course above 300 level and that more than anything is the reason why I am enrolled in this class. I enjoy taking classes in subjects other than my major, but to say that I have a true passion for these courses would be a blatent lie. The only exception to this statement is music. I view music as one of the truest ways of expressing one's self, and although the same could be said about writing and speaking, there is something about music that I truly connect with.

Silence is very important in my life. I come from a very large family and that sometimes means that rivate time can be hard to come by. Many days I take time, even if just 5 minutes, and reflect in silence. This allows me to think about what I could have done better in the last few days as well as how I can reach my goals in life.

My goal for this course is to become a better speaker. I have been told many times that I am a very good listener, but never that I am a very good speaker. In the past I was very shy about sharing my thoughts and beliefs on different subjects, but as I made my way through high school I realized that by being truthful and sharing what you want to share you are better able to connect with others. This does not mean that other people will agree with your opinions, but as long as you are respectful in your expression they should respect your thoughts. I am beginning to believe that the reason for my struggle as a public speaker is the thought that I am not as creative as I would like to be. This thought lingers in the back of my mind, and because of it I sometimes fear harsh judgment from others.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you said silence allows you to think about what you could have done better in the last few days as well as how you can reach your goals in life. I agree with you a hundred percent! Also, I can relate to your public speaking skills. I do not think that I am a very good speaker, but I do plan on improving. Another thing I really admired was what you said about respect, your blog interests me which is one reason I chose to comment on it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.