My name is Priya Sirohi and I am from Omaha, Nebraska. I was born in India, but I came to the United States when I was 2-years-old, and I basically consider myself American. I am studying English here, and I hope to go to graduate school to study Rhetoric and Composition. I am not sure specifically which topics in Rhetoric I want to study, all I know is that I love English and I especially love studying the arts of persuasion. I was on the debate team in my high-school and that is when I really got interested in the art of speaking and persuasion.
As such, for me, this class holds a great deal of significance. There isn't a clear rhetoric program here at SLU, so I've kind of been scrambling to take all the classes in rhetoric that I possibly can. I have really enjoyed the readings so far, and I'm looking forward to the rest of this semester.
I find silence oppressive, even on a surface level, whenever I'm around other people. I love talking, and I'm always bursting to say something. I have learned to try and not raise my hand for every question asked (to give others an opportunity), but my impulse to always be answering questions is still there. When I'm alone, I have to have noise of some kind. If in the library, I have to listen to music. I enjoy studying in cafes where there is constant activity and noise. My surroundings are rarely quiet.
Hey Priya! I am curious about what your plans are for after graduation. Do you plan on going to graduate school for English or Rhetoric? Or have you thought about law at all, since some law involves public speaking?
ReplyDelete