Sunday, March 4, 2012

Societal Roles

Through our study of silence and speaking, I found it interesting how in the same situation, silence and speaking can be perceived very differently.  In attesting silence, some of the women were called to court but they received a bad image for telling the truth.  I originally thought this could be due to the belief that because the women spoke so quickly, they were likely doing it for attention or for revenge.  Interestingly, when one of the Jane Does kept her silence, she was perceived in a better light.  

I thought that this chapter in particular showed the double standards of society.  Honesty in court is valued, but the women who spoke did not feel this value, while when one stayed silent, there was more credibility.  It also showed a lot about gender roles.  The women that spoke were seen as loose and blamed for the actions of Clinton.  However, the woman that kept to the gender role of women and silence were believed.  I agreed with the statement said by one of our classmates that in this case, the women that did want to say the truth were silenced by the public.  

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion. Silence is so powerful and meaningful that words can not describe it. Being silence most the case give us the open way, the new path for any unsolved problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point about the double standard of society. It is interesting how different circumstances provide silence a different means for affecting the situation. On one hand, as you pointed out, the silent Jane Doe was perceived as more reliable, but Anita, who kept her silence in a similar manner, was questioned and not trusted because she had not come forward to talk about it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very true in this case that silence can be golden. But even more important than silence in the case, was the way she carried herself before the court. She would answer but not stray from her simple answers. She left almost no room to be caught up in the minute details of the case. I think that this way of presenting herself in conjunction with her silence is what helped her be seen as creditable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Will. The double standard relationship of society is a great point. However, I can see how silence in this case would protect your reputation because many would view speaking out as revenge or attention-seeking. Saying enough and presenting yourself with respect is more honest than speaking out with every detail!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.